Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Aaron's Adoption Story Part I:The Decision

My mom decided one day, years ago, that she would like to have six kids. "6 is the perfect number" she thought. "I can have three boys and three girls". By the year 1998, she had accomplished her goal. There were six children living at home; my older biological brothers, Peter and Jesse, myself, Isaac (domestically adopted as an infant) Janaya (domestically adopted as an infant), and Lacy (domestically adopted as an infant). It was just as she had planned, 3 boys and 3 girls. However, God's plans are not always the same as our own. In 2005 my mom started to feel a pull towards adoption again. At first she brushed it off as a coping mechanism since Jesse had just moved out for college. Even so, the feeling persisted. Not willing to surrender to the idea just yet, she bought a puppy. Yes, my mom purchased a puppy to satisfy her yearning for another child. As much as she loved Cali (named after California because my dad was there on a business trip at the time- thus being too far way to stop my mom from buying a dog)she couldn't shake this "feeling". In her last stage of denial, my mom decided that maybe God was not calling her to adopt, but instead telling her to aid in someone else's adoption. So she attended an adoption conference, and stated her intentions as finding out ways she could help. Of course, the conference had the opposite effect and left her convinced that God was calling our family to expand yet again...


2 comments:

Shawnda said...

my eyes are filled with tears as I look at your family and the JOY that is evident in each of your faces!!!! You must have incredible parents!!! I wish I could learn a thing or two from them!! : )

KelseyChristine said...

Thank you so much Shawnda! I think my parents are incredible too :) Of course no one is perfect, but they do work very hard to instill the joy of Christ into all of us...