Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Forever in My Heart

Our family could use some prayers…My foster brother died of a heart attack last week. Kareem was only 24 years old. He and his brother lived with us for two years when I was in elementary school. I still can’t believe he’s really gone. I read the Bible versus at his memorial service (the burial is going to be in another state where his family lives), and it took every ounce of my will power to keep from breaking down completely in front of all those people. God must have helped me out…

I am especially sad for his younger brother. Kareem was his father figure and the only constant in his life.

My older brother Peter is also struggling a lot. His coping mechanism seems to be keeping busy and focusing on raising money (by selling t-shirts) for the family.

People ARE NOT supposed to have heart attacks when they are 24 years old...

3 comments:

richlisad said...

I am so sorry to hear of your family's loss - you are right, this shouldn't happen to people so young. Bless you guys.

Kimberley said...

I am very, very sorry for the loss of your brother and the circumstances that add to the hurt and especially the anger that so naturally comes with it! I lost my little brother 6 years ago in a freak accident he was only 21, a baby. I still have not coped with it. I guess everyone has their own way of coping and mine was to just NOT to. I understand when you say "your not supposed to have a heart attack at 24" I still question why even though I know we aren't supposed to. Thats our "human" side..At first everyone said time heals so much but I will not lie to you it has never healed this hurt but it has helped me to become stronger and learn to cherish things in a different sense. Please do what ever comforts YOU. Everyone is different so you do whats best for you. You will be OK and I'm sure hes proudly looking down on you right now . God bless you and keep your strong and perish your hurt.

Anonymous said...

Kelsey, I am sorry for your loss. You are right, 24 year olds are not supposed to lose their life to heart attacks and you are not supposed to lose your foster siblings while you are so young. My prayers are with you. You have an amazing strength and spirit. Kareem was lucky to have you in his short life.