Tuesday, September 19, 2006

He's Not Just Anyone...


I'm almost finished reading "There is No Me Without You" by Melissa Faye Green. It tells the story of Haregewoin Teferra, a woman who devoted her life to the AIDS orphans of Ethiopia. It is filled with rich Ethiopian history, staggering statistics regarding orphans and the AIDS crisis, and both heart-wrenching and heart-warming stories of the children who came into Teferra's care. As I read it, I realize that the stories of these children are the same as those of Tekle and Aaron. I've had to just sit and reflect after many of the chapters; it is so much to absorb and a lot for my heart to handle!

The book has already impacted me in a profound way and opened my eyes to the most severe crisis of my time.

This morning my mom was driving me to school, and the Song "He's My Son" came on the radio (Mark Schultz). As I listened I couldn't help but realize how the song seemed to illustrate the pain that millions of moms and dads across the globe must be feeling as they see their children dying of the epidemic. I was in tears...I just can't imagine...

You can listen to the song at
http://markschultzmusic.com/media/nss07.mp3

Here are the lyrics:

Down on my knees again tonight,
hoping this prayer will turn out right.
See, there is a boy that needs your help.
I've done all that i can do myself.
His mother is tired,
I'm sure you can understand.
Each night as he sleeps,
she goes in to hold his hand
and she tries not to cry
as the tears fill her eyes.

Can you hear me?
Am I getting trough tonight?
Can you see him?
Can you make him feel alright?
If you can hear me,
let me take his place somehow
See he's not just anyone,
he's my son.

Sometimes late at night i watch him sleep.
I dream of a boy he'd like to be.
I try to be strong and see him through,
but God who he needs right now is you.
Let him grow old, live life without this fear.
What would I be living without him here?
He's so tired and he's scared.
Let him kno that youre there.

Can you hear me?
Am I getting trough tonight?
Can you see him?
Can you make him feel alright?
If you can hear me,
let me take his place somehow
See he's not just anyone,
he's my son.

Can you hear me?
Am I getting through tonight?
Can you see him?
Can you make him feel alright
If you can hear me,
let me take his place somehow
See he's not just anyone
Can you hear me?
Can you see him?
Please don't leave him,
he's my son.

1 comment:

Kimberley said...

OK...There are now tears in my eyes. I guess the reality is we really have no idea just how great we have it even on our worst of days. You never cease to amaze me! God bless!