Saturday, September 09, 2006

It's the Little Things...


Tekle ran up to me with a huge smile on his face yesterday, exitedly showing me a bag of trail mix he just bought. I was confused because while I like trail mix as much as the next guy, I didn't think it was anything to celebrate. That is until he said "Kels, aren't you so happy I bought the stuff we were eating in Ethiopia??!!".

OH YEAAAAH.........

I had forgotten.

Thinking we may crave American food at some point during our time in Ethiopia, my mom and I had packed candy, juice boxes, crackers, and...trail mix.

It was so sweet to see how special that was to Tekle. My mom later told me that he had picked the trail mix out all by himself and was ecstatic to have found it at the store. Now that I think about it, there are quite a few things from our week in Addis Ababa that are really important to Tekle. He remembers every book and toy we brought, and when he wears one of the outfits we gave him on the trip, he'll say "Don't I look cute? This is what I wore in Ethiopia".

For a long time after coming home, Tekle showed no interest in pictures of himself or his friends before we came to pick him up. He only wanted to look at the pictures from the week my mom and I were with him. It was such a huge time in all of our lives, and it was amazing to witness such a significant part of his transition. In those days he had to try reconcile two completely different worlds, which is a lot to ask of a four year old. I think that he was able to adjust/attatch to our family better because he got to know my mom and I in his own environment. Tekle and I have an extra special bond because we shared a lot of experiences that week.

Before he went to bed last night Tekle gave me a hug and said "You better say thank you to me for finding that stuff!"

Ha ha, thanks buddy.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Kelsey,
I just read your blog and you are amazing!!! Wow! First, I have thoroughly enjoyed your perspective as a sibling in the whole adoption thing. Second, I LOVE large families like yours! Third, you write very well. Keep at it! Fourth, your perspective at your age is incredible! Fifth, your parents must be so proud of you! Sixth, your siblings are all so lucky to have you as a big sister! :)
Heather

Kimberley said...

Heather I do believe has repeated exactly myself as well as many other viewers have said. I come to your site because I know without a doubt I will leave with a smile on my face and encouragement in my heart. I do hope that you will some how use the gift you have in written expression. My daughter is about your age and your perspective on things reminds me alot of her! Thanks again for such a strong defined YOU !