Sunday, November 05, 2006

Travel Story Part II: Together At Last




My mom woke up around 6:00 the next day, and I could hear her moving around the room. I was trying to stay in bed because I knew that if I woke up too early I would have to wait around idly until we got to meet Tekle, and I didn't think I had the patience for that. However, there was no way I could fall back asleep--my mind was RACING! So I soaked up the view from our room, observing this new and exciting environment.

It seemed like forever, but a couple hours later it was time to eat. All the families gathered in the dining room, and the awesome cooks brought us a big breakfast, including my favorite--a big bowl of sweet oatmeal-looking stuff. Everyone ate pretty fast, anxious to meet the children!

FINALLY we were driven the short distance to Center B (the older kids residence). I was amazed at how beautiful the facility was. There were bright trees and flowers everywhere. Colorful miniature plastic chairs were stalked alongside the house. We were led out back where the classroom was located. I had to keep telling myself to "WALK SLOWER", so I wouldn't get ahead of the group. When we peeked in the door all the kids started yelling, "Family, Family!!". Tekle ran out yelling "Mommy, Mommy!", and jumped into my mom's arms. I held him too and he gave me the biggest hug! All the kids in the class started singing "This is the day that the Lord Has Made". It was one of the best moments of my life!

2 comments:

Kimberley said...

To experience what you have is simply amazing!

richlisad said...

What a great story. I am teared up thinking that will be me in a few days. I travel to bring home Marta on Saturday.

Thanks for the story. - Rich