Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Hair!

Hair care is a popular topic among transracial adoptive families. It is challenging and often times intimidating to learn how to properly care for a hair type that is drastically different from your own. It is SO IMPORTANT though! The reasons go beyond just looking cute...it is important socially, cultuarally, and is an essential aspect of self-esteem, especially among African American girls. When Janaya was little, her hair was usually in really cute box braids with barettes on the end. As she's gotten older she's wanted to try new things, and now alternates between "natural" (brushed out, texterized, moisturized), braids half-way back, and extensions. Lacy can pretty much do whatever she wants with her hair, and will usually just leave it down or put it in a pony-tail. Sometimes though, she'll want something more elaborate and I've had fun trying different braids/twists on her.





2 comments:

momteacherfriend said...

Love the half braid!

Susy Q said...

I hope you don't mind but I may have to ask you- or one of your sisters- for hair care tips!! Now that I have a baby SISTER (my mom said her hair will be my job) I'll have to figure out some cute styles!

Their hair looks great by the way ;-)