Sunday, March 25, 2007

Tekle Lost His First Tooth!



Last year Tekle told us that when kids in Ethiopia lose a tooth, they throw it up on the roof and a bird comes and takes it away. He also said that you were supposed to sing a song, but couldn't remember the words. It was really bothering him that he couldn't remember, so I told him that I would ask my friend Yebralem (who's from ET) if she knew it. I was so excited to find out that she did, and she was even sweet enough to sing it over the phone for him!

I asked him today if he would like to go throw his tooth on the roof, but Tekle opted for the American tooth-fairy tradition instead because "birds don't give you money".

4 comments:

momteacherfriend said...

Awesome!
You have a great friend to call and sing THE song!

Anonymous said...

I remember about throwing the tooth on the roof but not the song... geee it was long time ago anyway... I read this sometime back - if the Ethiopian tradition of throwing the tooth on the roof is to grow it back straight, it sure didn't work for me...

• In Spain, children tuck teeth under pillows and a mouse leaves a surprise, often money or a small gift.

• Ancient Egyptians tossed teeth to the sun because they believed the sun provided strong teeth.

• In parts of England, mothers at one time burned baby teeth so witches couldn't get hold of them and gain control of the children.

• In Chile and Costa Rica, parents make teeth charms.

• In Cameroon and Botswana, children throw their teeth onto the roof so new teeth grow in strong and straight.

• In Afghanistan, teeth are dropped down mouse holes.

Source: Throw Your Tooth on the Roof: Tooth Traditions from Around the World

KelseyChristine said...

Wow, those are really cool traditions! I didn't know they threw teeth onto roofs in other countries too. Thanks for sharing :)

dawn said...

Oh, I'm so glad you shared this! Dawit couldn't remember what they did in ET, but when I mentioned the roof/bird to him, he got so excited!

He can't remember the song, either.