Friday, July 13, 2007

One of the Joys of Big Families

(I'm experiencing some writer's block with the Mexico trip...it was a very emotional week, and I'm having a hard time expressing everything that I would like to. I'm going to post about something a little easier for now)



My family is capable of annoying me more than anyone else on the planet.

It is not unusual for me to come home and realize that someone has been in my room--my clothes mysteriously disappear, my cell phone charger turns up missing, my previously unopened pack of gum is left with only one piece (if I'm lucky), and my jewlery box is spilled all over the floor. Of course, nobody admits to touching anything, and there's really no way to find out who did it when there are so many "suspects". I guess things just walk off by themselves. Or maybe a robber came while we were all sleeping.

Other times I get in arguments over things like chores or computer time. And once in awhile, it's more serious than things like that. But one of the joys of living in a big family is that even when I'm furious with one or two or three, of the people in my household, there are always nine, or eight, or seven people left! It makes it hard for me to say "I CAN'T STAND MY FAMILY!" because that statement is so inclusive. I have to be more specific if I want to complain :)


I was so appreciative of Lacy last weekend. It had been a dramatic evening at my house and I really needed to get away and have some quiet time, so I went to the coffee shop. Shortly after I arrived, Lacy showed up on her bike. She announced with a huge smile on her face that she came to visit me, and sat down at the table. We talked for awhile, then decided to go hang out at the beach for a little bit. She contently waded in the water while I wrote in my journal. Every couple of minutes she would bring me a "really, really, cool" seashell that she had found, or tell me an interesting fact about bird formations or other fun things. My anger completely evaporated as we spent time together. It was such a JOY to be around her!

And I think it is impossible to get mad at Aaron. Even when he's mad, he's adorable. It doesn't matter what kind of mood I'm in, he ALWAYS makes me smile.









There have been so many times where in the midst of anger and frustration, I've been caught off guard by the kindess of one of my family members. While they are often my greatest source of annoyance, they are also my most frequent source of laughter and happiness.

7 comments:

Scarlett_333 said...

Oh my gosh- your sister is absolutely adorable. She seems so sweet!
-Nikki

Susy Q said...

I can't say I know I know exactly how you feel since my family isn't so big, but I do find that my siblings always pick the right time to say/do something nice. Sasha's gotten into the habit now of trying to see how much she can get away with in terms of doing naughty things, and kisses up to us (literally!) when she realizes we're mad (I guess mad isn't the right word...how can you be mad at a 17-month-old, especially one as completely adorable as her?) We know that she's doing it on purpose, but her smile and kisses make any feeling of resentment for her actions completely evaporate!
My eight-year-old brother, too, is very good at this. Things like this make me feel so lucky to have my family, even if they're the ones who upset me in the first place!

Life in Fitzville said...

What a great post! People always comment on how well my crew always seems to get along, and how I do it. I always laugh and say it's easy... when they are mad at oone person, they just go find another to play with.

So cool to hear this verbalized so articulately by someone who is 'living it'.

momteacherfriend said...

Family is like that!

I completely understand writer's block. Hopefully you find a way to get it all out.

Leah Marie said...

You will definitely treasure thsi post as you enter Augsburg in the Fall.
I am thankful to know your family!

Sharon said...

Kelsey,

You are awesome and I'm glad you have such a great family - we all know that there are the annoyances! As for posting - wait until you're ready. If I had a beach closeby you wouldn't hear from me all summer!

Sharon

Chatter said...

You bring back memories of my childhood. I remember being so annoyed at times but feeling like the luckiest girl in the world most of the time :).
Enjoy! The older you get, the more you appreciate each other and the less annoyances you have (most of the time).