Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Random Family Stuff

Guess who braided Tekle's hair??




If you guessed Isaac, you are correct!



Speaking of Isaac, he deserves a huge CONGRATULATIONS on his acceptance into the arts highschool he auditioned for last week. Isaac loves to perform and is especially passionate about dance (mostly hip-hop but he can't wait to learn other forms too). We think this school is going to be a great fit for him.
He also just got a job at the movie theatre, so this has been a good week!

As for me, my freshman year of college is complete! Overall, I loved it. I had some great professors, met some cool people, and learned a lot. I am planning on majoring in Social Work and minoring in Spanish and have really enjoyed taking classes in both of those areas. My Spanish professor was hilarious which made it easy to pay attention in class. My social work professors were awesome too and I learned a lot from them. I really appreciate how my school prioritizes interactive learning in community. Next year I will be living in a community house with other college students that focuses on building relationships with kids in the neighborhood through tutoring and mentorship. We will tutor kids for two hours each week, and do monthly weekend events with them. I am very excited :)

Another highlight of my year was playing intramural sports. I played tennis, volleyball, and soccer. It was basically the same group of kids on my volleyball and soccer teams, so that was fun. I played tennis all through highschool so I was pretty confidant in that, but I can't say the same for volleyball and soccer. My team was very patient with me though...


Aaron came to stay with me my last night in the dorms and had a blast. We got icecream from the vending machine, played pool in the game room, and hung out with my super cool roommate. His favorite part of the night though was going to see the basketball players in the gym. He was in complete AWE, and would have stayed there all night watching them if I would have let him!




Another cool part about Aaron's visit to college was that he was able to meet a bunch of the Ethiopians that work at my school. At one point he had about 10 people surrounding him and asking him questions in Amharic. I think he was a bit overwhelmed with all of the attention but I was so proud of him because our Amharic practice payed off...one woman asked him "Simeh mano?" which means 'what's your name' in Amharic, and without missing a beat Aaron replied "Tariku". Tariku is his middle name, but he responds to both. It's funny because if someone asks him what his name is in English he says Aaron, but if they ask in Amharic he says Tariku.

So now I'm living at home again, enjoying my last 3 weeks with the family before I leave for MEXICO!! :)

6 comments:

Mandy said...

Congrats on finishing your freshman year of college! That is awesome that you have the opportunity to live in a community house next year. The college where I work has a place like that and its wonderful for both the students and the kids in the community. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures in Mexico!

Nikki said...

That is all so exciting!!! Aaron is adorable, as always, and a HUGE congrats to Isaac- that sounds awesome!! I am so excited to follow your Mexico trip- I will be checking for updates :)
I loved my social work class as well. I had planned on majoring in it, but switched to cultural anthro last minute! I'm sure you will love it though, especially with all the experience you already have in working with kids!

Leah Marie said...

Although I see you weekly, I love reading your life insights on the blog! I really enjoyed this post.

KelseyChristine said...

Thanks guys :)

Nikki--I bet cultural anthro will be great for you! That is a fascinating subject for sure.

Selly Emmy Nancy said...

You are great as a sister and i think tutoring will be great as well...What is Tariku means in Amharic ?_? ~Selly

KelseyChristine said...

Thanks Selly! Tariku means history :) I think it is such a beautiful name...