Monday, June 08, 2009

Recipe



A few of you asked for the recipe to my birthday meal, so I thought I would post it here for everyone to see. We don't have a super creative name for it--when I ask for "rice" my Dad knows what I mean.

Disclaimer: This dish is different every time! My Dad is always switching up the ingredients and playing around with the recipe, so this is just how he made it last time. Also, all of the times are estimated, so keep an eye on things as they cook. Almost all of the ingredients are optional and it's easy to add new things so feel free to be creative with the recipe :)

Ingredients:
1 lb uncooked medium grain white rice
50 oz can of Chicken Broth
2 TBS Olive Oil
1 Onion
1/2 Poblano Pepper
1/2 Dried Ancho pepper
1/2 Red pepper
3-4 sprinkles of red pepper flakes
(if you are looking for a more mild alternative banana peppers taste great in this too)
1 1/2 TBS of berbere
12 oz ground Chorizo sausage
1 Can of black beans
4 cobs of corn (my Dad takes the corn right off the cob, but canned/frozen would work as well)
1 Mango
1 tsp Chili Pepper for Fruit
1/2 lime
Cilantro

Steps:
1. Cut up mango into small squares and marinate it in the Chili Powder. Put it aside and let it marinate for about an hour.

2. In a separate pan saute onions, peppers, berbere, chorizo sausage in olive oil.
3. Add 3 cups of the chicken broth and 1 lb of uncooked rice. Continue to add chicken broth as it starts to dry out. Let simmer for between an hour/hour and a half until the rice gets tender.
4. Add corn, beans, and mango, then put it all in the oven to bake for about 1/2 hour at 400 degrees.
5. Squeeze 1/2 of a lime into the mix for flavor, and decorate the top with cilantro.
6. SERVE!!

5 comments:

Andrea H. said...

I hope you had a wonderful birthday. Thank you so much for publishing your recipe. I cannot wait to try it. I even have berbere. I just have to go light on it since my family doesn't like spicy foods. You rock!

Jennifer said...

Thanks for posting it! I will be picking up berbere in Ethiopia, but may have to forego some of those peppers!
Tell your dad thank you, too.
Jenny

ShannonC said...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

steffany said...

Hi Kelsey,

Can you email me? I have a question for you.
bostermama@gmail.com

The Brothers said...

That looks AMAZING!!