Monday, November 09, 2009

When the Kids Come to Visit...


(The sugar that was in the cake you see all over Zenebesh's face may be an antecedent to the events that followed)

The other day my mom decided to drop the four littlest kids off at my house so that she and my dad could could spend some time together before he went out of town. He has been traveling a TON for work and they were in the city that night to drop him off at the airport.
Not unlike most evenings with my family it was fun, loud, and involved lots of music. My roommates were in for a treat since they hadn't been around so many of my siblings at once before ;)
When they got to my house, I had a chance to practice my listening skills as each kid simultaneously tried to catch me up on what had been going on in their lives the last few weeks. It's an art to be convincingly attentive to four people at once, but having a big family has given me lots of practice.
Once the most exciting of their stories had been told, Aaron and Zenebesh decided they wanted to play Ring Around the Rosie. They have created their own version to the game, which basically involves me sitting in the middle as they run around the circle singing like crazy. At one point Lacy thought it would be funny to stick her foot out and try to trip the kids as they ran by. This new element was enough to evoke Tekle's interest (since he wouldn't be caught dead playing such a 'baby' game otherwise), and he eagerly accepted the challenge to jump over her extended foot without getting tripped. Soon someone suggested that we bring out the broom to use as a hurdle instead of Lacy's foot. We came up with a game where each round we lifted the broom a little higher as the kids continued to try jumping over it. After while Tekle was showing off by doing extravagant flips and break dance moves over the broom and scoffing about how easy it was for him. The game was clearly putting Aaron and Zeni at a disadvantage, so Lacy and I decided to switch things up and do the Limbo instead. All of a sudden the shorter kids had the advantage (and we found out Zeni is an expert at the Limbo--who knew?) which humbled Tekle a little bit. He quickly decided he didn't want to play that game anymore and suggested that we have a break dance competition instead. We set up the speakers and after a slight reprimand from Zenebesh for not having the Hoedown-Throw-Down on my iPOD, the three littlest kids were dancing away and Lacy and I were cheering them on from the sidelines. I laughed as I repeatedly caught Tekle and Aaron sneaking glances at my roommate (who was observing us from a safe distance) after an especially cool move to see if she had seen it or not. After awhile our skillful dancers had worked up a sweat and the boys decided to take their shirts off. For some reason, that inspired Aaron to excitedly suggest "How about we have a Fashion Show?!" , which resulted in this impressive video of Aaron's runway skills...



And that is how a simple game of Ring Around the Rosie evolved into a night of craziness...

Never a dull moment with these guys!!

2 comments:

Andrea H. said...

Hi Kelsey, glad your blogging again. That sounds like a lot of fun. I cannot believe how big our ET's are getting. Zene is huge? Can you show us an updated picture of her?

Leslie said...

How fun!!