Monday, March 01, 2010

An All too Common Story



My mom left this comment on my facebook page tonight. Unfortunately, getting followed in stores is so common for my AA siblings that I don't usually write about it, but tonight's incident was even worse than usual.

Just had the worse experience at JC Penneys Woodbury, MN.The security guy followed Isaac to the car and asked him to show him what he took. He showed his bag--school books only. So the security guy said he was banned from the store. I asked why and he said Isaac put 3 shirts in his book bag ...last week and took them out and left them in the fitting room.The security guy was awful. They wouldn't let us way into the store so they accused Isaac right inside the store in front of all the customers. It was so humiliating! The police showed up and threatened to arrest me and book me on obstruction because I was trying to help Isaac as they questioned him. And for blocking a fire lane because I simply left the car where the security guy approached us. And they said it had nothing to do with race.

I talked to Lacy (who was there when it happened) a little bit ago on the phone and she seems really shaken up. My mom has been in tears all night. It can be such an ugly world out there sometimes...

6 comments:

Signe said...

Wow, that is very sobering. When your children are still little you forget what they will face as they get older. Thanks for sharing this story. You have our prayers.

Anonymous said...

wow!, so upsetting! :(

Just by what I have read on your blog, I know that your brother is a wonderful talented young man with a bright future.

Anonymous said...

Hello.
I called the corporate office--they contacted the store manager--he contacted me. He apologized and said the security guy was way out of line and over-stepped his authority by banning Isaac from the store.--He said Isaac did nothing wrong. I also contacted the regional mgr. She was very nice--apologized again and assured me she would take care of the situation with everyone who was involved. She said Isaac was welcome in the store. That the people involved were wrong and it should never have happened. She had the store mgr call Isaac and apologize to him. He just called and apologized for what happened and said he would love to meet Isaac someday. So I feel a lot better and more importantly Isaac's repputation is cleared and he feels better. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT AND ENCOURAGEMENT! Mom

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Annie said...

I know I don't know you anywhere but your blog, but from what you have said here, Isaac seems to be such an incredibly sensitive and gentle person. Obviously the situation is awful no matter what the personality of the kid involved, and it's just horrible all over, but that on top of it all just makes me feel for him, you know? I'm sorry anyone has to put up with that ugliness...

Andrea H. said...

I know Kelsey. When your mom left a comment about the on our yahoo group I knew you would be livid!! I am so sorry this had to happen to your brother.